What is the Georgia Vital Events Registration System (GAVERS)?

The Georgia Vital Events Registration System (GAVERS) is the vital records registration and issuance software that was developed for the Georgia Department of Public Health’s Vital Records Unit.  It permits the input of death information electronically, eliminating the need to submit paper worksheets.  Over 80% of DeKalb County funeral homes are using GAVERS.

How does GAVERS work?

The funeral home enters the decedent’s demographic information in GAVERS.  GAVERS then electronically alerts the certifying physician that a certificate is ready for completion and verification. Next, the physician (or designated staff) enter the cause of death and other information and electronically verifies the record. Once the record in GAVERS is complete and verified, the Vital Records office can request a death certificate from the system.

How do I become part of GAVERS?

If you are interested in using GAVERS, please contact the Georgia Office of Vital Records at (404) 679-4742 or (404) 679-4745.

To register for training on using GAVERS, contact:

  • DeKalb County Vital Records (training held at our office).
  • Georgia Office of Vital Records at (404) 679-4742 or (404) 679-4745.
How do I submit a death record worksheet or a long-form certificate?

Worksheets and long-form certificates can be submitted in one of three ways:

  • Through GAVERS.
  • In person.
  • By fax to (404) 508-7895 (fax a cover sheet and the worksheet with the cause of death, interval and physician’s name and title).
What if the funeral home is not in GAVERS?

 You can submit the worksheet or long-form certificate in person or by fax.

What time do you stop accepting worksheets and long-form certificates for same-day processing?

Worksheets and long-form certificates are accepted until 4:00 p.m. for same-day processing.  Worksheets and long-form certificates received after 4:00 p.m. will be processed the following business day.

How do I obtain a death certificate?

Please submit a completed request form (including the name of the decedent, date of death, number of copies you are requesting and payment) to the Vital Records office. Requests may be submitted in person, by fax or online.  See Requesting a Death Certificate.

 Will you correct errors on a death certificate?

 No. Once a death record has been filed in the DeKalb County Vital Records office, any changes must be made at the Georgia Office of Vital Records.

How do I obtain permission to have a body cremated or moved to another state?

A permit is required to have the body cremated or moved to another state.  You can obtain a permit request form from the Vital Records office.  Complete the form and return it to Vital Records, along with the death certificate worksheet or long-form certificate.  The Vital Records office will then issue a permit.