How do I make sure my baby’s birth certificate reflects my family’s cultural practices?

When it comes to naming your baby, the Vital Records Division of the Department of Public Health is committed to honoring the cultural practices of the parents’ homeland.  For most people, the baby’s last name will be the father’s last name.  However, if your family comes from a land with an established tradition that calls for a different surname to be used, please be sure to explain this when you meet with the birthing clerk at the hospital.  We want to make sure that your baby’s name will appear on the official birth certificate exactly as you wish.

If your baby’s birth certificate has already been made out, and you would like to change the surname to fit the cultural traditions of your family homeland, please write the Georgia Division of Vital Records at 1680 Phoenix Boulevard, Suite 100, Atlanta, Ga. 30349 or call (404) 679-4702.  If the name is changed, the state office will be happy to provide you with a free copy of the amended certificate.

How do I register an out-of-institution birth (for example, a home birth)?

Call (404) 294-3700 to make an appointment with DeKalb County Vital Records.

How do I correct my baby’s birth certificate?

Call the Georgia Division of Vital Records at (404) 679-4702.

How do I change a birth certificate because of an adoption, paternity acknowledgment, legitimization or court order?

Call the Georgia Division of Vital Records at (404) 679-4702.