What to bring to the WIC certification visit

Bring EACH family member who is applying to receive WIC services.

Bring proof of ALL income for everyone in the household (before taxes and deductions are taken out). Income includes such things as: salaries, child support and alimony, foster care payments, interest withdrawn, unemployment compensation, and military earnings; OR, if you receive Medicaid, Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA), or Food Stamps, you are income eligible for WIC. (If you do not receive Medicaid or TCA, but other members of your household receive these benefits, you may be income-eligible for WIC.) WIC staff can verify your enrollment in these programs. However, it is helpful to bring the current Notice of Case Action letter, which is proof of eligibility for one or more of these programs.

Bring ONE proof of where you live (no P.O. boxes). The document must be current and show your name and address. Items that are allowed include a utility bill, bank/insurance statement, or driver’s license. You must be currently living in Georgia, but you don’t have to be a U.S. citizen.

Bring ONE proof of identification for you and ONE proof of identification for any infant or child applying for WIC, such as a birth certificate, driver’s license, crib card, military ID, photo ID, Social Security Card, or hospital record.

For EACH woman, infant, and child applying for WIC, you will need:

A recent height and weight measurement (no older than 60 days), and

hemoglobin or hematocrit blood test results (not required for infants under 9 months).

Ask your doctor or health clinic to fill out this health information on a WIC Medical Referral Form or, the WIC office will help you get this health information.

Bring the Social Security Number for each person applying for WIC, if available.

Bring the immunization (shot) record for each child.

USDA Non-Discrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability.

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call toll free (866) 632-9992 (Voice).  Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).” USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.