There are many benefits to adding physical activity/exercise into your daily life. Benefits include:
- Reducing the risk of many chronic diseases such as
- Heart disease
- Certain cancers
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Strengthening bones and muscles
- Improving your mood
Physical activity can be added to your daily routine through lifestyle changes or purposeful routine exercises. If you are looking to make a lifestyle change, here are few ideas:
- Park your car farther away, so you have to walk more to get to your destination.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Walk or bike to work, the grocery store, or even out to dinner
- Play video games that involve jumping, running in place, or dancing
- Walk to a neighbor’s house, or a co-workers office if in the same building, instead of calling them on the phone to ask a question
- Take your dog on a daily walk, dogs need exercise too!
- Do your own housework and yard work, these activities add up
If you wish to begin an exercise routine:
- Talk to your doctor before beginning an exercise routine.
- Start slowly. You can increase the intensity and length of your exercise as you become more fit. Walking is a great way to get started, and you already know how!
- Work up to exercising on most days of the week for 30-60 minutes. This can be done all at one time or throughout the day. You can benefit from doing physical activity for 10 minutes, 3 times a day.
- Be sure to include stretching, aerobic/cardiovascular, and strength training activities.
- Do something you enjoy, like biking, tennis, walking, or swimming.
- Mix it up- doing something new can help exercise interesting and improve result