Birth Certificates

Birth records are available from 1919 to the present. Georgia law and the Department of Public Health regulations require that all requests for vital records include the signature and picture ID of the requester and the proper fee.

Access to the birth record is limited to:

  •  The person named on the certificate
  •  The parents are shown on the birth record
  •  An authorized legal guardian or agent with proof
  •  Grandparents of the person named on the certificate
  • An adult child of the person named on the certificate
  •  An adult sibling of the person named on the certificate
  • The spouse of the person named on the certificate


The person requesting a certified copy of a birth record must provide:

  1. A completed and signed request form.
  2. Payment via certified check, cash, credit, debit or money order made payable to DeKalb County Vital Records.
  3. A photocopy of your valid photo ID, such as
    1. Georgia state photo ID card or state driver’s license issued by a government agency
    2. Resident Alien Card (Form I-551 issued by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service
    3. Temporary Resident Alien Card (Form I-668) issued by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service
    4. Government passport issued by a country
    5. Picture Identification card issued by an employer
    6. School photo ID
    7. Military ID card issued by the U.S. Armed Forces
    8. Matricular Card

You may be asked to provide additional documentation at the time your order is processed.


When it comes to naming your baby, the Vital Records Division of the Department of Public Health is committed to honoring the cultural practices of the parents’ homeland.  For most people, the baby’s last name will be the father’s last name.  However, if your family comes from a land with an established tradition that calls for a different surname to be used, please be sure to explain this when you meet with the birthing clerk at the hospital.  We want to make sure that your baby’s name will appear on the official birth certificate exactly as you wish.

If your baby’s birth certificate has already been made out, and you would like to change the surname to fit the cultural traditions of your family homeland, please write the State Division of Vital Records at 2600 Skyland Drive, Atlanta, GA 30319-3640 or call (404) 679-4702.  If the name is changed, the state office will be happy to provide you with a free copy of the amended certificate.


Georgia law requires pre-payment before a record or a service can be provided. Fees are not refundable after a service has been provided. Records are sent first class mail.

Search Fee
Includes one certified copy, if the record is found.
Additional certifications of the same record ordered at the same time (full size copies only) $5.00
Multi-year search (every three years or portion thereof) $25.00


The State office offers additional services, which are only performed by the state office. In addition to the $25.00 search fees the special filing fees are as follows:

Delayed certificate of birth $10.00
Amending birth certificates because of adoption, paternity acknowledgement, legitimization or court order $10.00

No special filing fee is required during the first year of birth to amend a birth record. This includes all types of amendments.


Fees may be paid by one of the following methods:

  • Certified check
  • Money order
  • Cash
  • Credit cards

Do NOT send cash in the mail. Make certified checks and money orders payable to DeKalb County Vital Records Office.


The following options are available for requesting a birth certificate:

  • Mail a completed copy of the Birth Certificate Request Form to:

DeKalb County Vital Records Office

P.O. Box 639

Decatur, GA 30031

  • Write out the information on the request form on a sheet of paper and mail it to the DeKalb County Vital Records Office.
  • Request a birth certificate in person at the DeKalb County Vital Records Office.

Note: It is possible to request a birth certificate via email. 

Source: Department of Public Health. This information was prepared as a public service of the DeKalb County Board of Health to provide general information, not to advise on any specific legal problem.  It is not, and cannot be construed to be, legal advice.