What is the M.O.R.E. Program?
- M.O.R.E. stands for Mothers Offering Resources and Education
- The program is a FREE service of the DeKalb County Board of Health. The program is for pregnant women and women who have an infant less than one year old
- In the program, you will be matched with a trained Resource Mother
- You can meet with the Resource Mother at the clinic, at the home or at school.
Why was the M.O.R.E. Program started?
- The program was started in October 2005
- McNair/Cedar Grove and Lithonia have a VERY high rate of babies that die before their first birthday
- For every 1,000 babies born, 13.5 will die before their first birthday.
- The goal of the M.O.R.E. program is to reduce the number of infant deaths that occur in our community
What is a Resource Mother?
- Resource Mothers are here to help you during and after your pregnancy
- They are mentors and teachers
- Resource Mothers live in your neighborhood and have their own children
- They have been though some of your same struggles
- They want you and your baby to be happy and healthy
Resource Mothers are NOT
- From the Georgia Division of Family and Children Services (DFCS)
- Going to judge you or take away your children
What do Resource Mothers do?
- Listen to you talk about any problems you are having
- Give emotional support
- Help you have a healthy pregnancy
- Teach you about
- Health care for you and your baby
- Eating healthy
- The effects of tobacco, alcohol, and drug use
- Car seats
- Infant safety and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Other ways for you and your baby to be healthy
- Help you find resources in your community
Why should I participate?
- You can confidentially talk about any problems you are having
- Resource Mothers will answer your questions
- You will learn ways for you and your baby to be healthier
- The program is free
OK, I want to participate…What do I do now?
- Set up a time to meet with a Resource Mother
- Call 770.484.2607
- East DeKalb Health Center
- 2277 S. Stone Mountain-Lithonia Rd.
- Lithonia, Ga 30058
- South DeKalb Health Center
- 3110 Clifton Springs Rd.
- Decatur, Ga 30034