Death certificates are only issued to applicants having a direct and tangible interest, primarily family members or legal representatives of the family.
Certified copies of death records may be obtained from the DeKalb County Vital Records Office located in the E.L. Richardson Health Center, 445 Winn Way, Suite 191, Decatur, Georgia 30030. Our is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. We are closed on state holidays.
The person requesting a certified copy of a death record must provide:
- A completed and signed request form.
- Payment via certified check, cash or money order made payable to DeKalb County Vital Records..
- A photocopy of your valid photo ID, such as
- All state photo ID card or state driver’s license issued by a government agency
- Resident Alien Card (Form I-551) issued by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service
- Temporary Resident Alien Card (Form I-668) issued by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service
- Government passport issued by any country
- Picture identification card issued by an employer
- School photo ID
- Military ID card issued by the U.S. Armed Forces
- Matricular MC
You may be asked to provide additional documentation at the time your order is processed. On the request form, you must provide the county in which the death occurred.
Georgia law requires pre-payment before a record or a service can be provided. Fees are not refundable after a service has been provided. Records are sent first class mail.
Includes one certified copy, if the record is found.
|Additional certifications of same record ordered at the same time (full size copies only)||$5.00|
|Multi-year search (every three years or portion thereof)||$25.00|
METHODS OF PAYMENT
Fees may be paid by one of the following methods:
- Certified Check
- Money Order
- Major credit cards
Do NOT send cash in the mail. Make certified checks and money orders payable to DeKalb County Vital Records Office.
WHERE TO REQUEST A DEATH CERTIFICATE
The following options are available for requesting a death certificate:
- Mail a completed copy of the Death Certificate Request Form to:
DeKalb County Vital Records Office
P.O. Box 639
Decatur, GA 30031
- Write out the information on the request form on a sheet of paper and mail it to the DeKalb County Vital Records Office.
- Request a death certificate in person at the DeKalb County Vital Records Office.
Note: It is not possible to request a death certificate via email. By law, vital record search requests must be signed and paid for.
FETAL DEATH CERTIFICATES
Contact the state office at 404-679-4702 regarding certified copies of fetal death certificates.